Saturday, September 24, 2011

Class #1

Today was our first class on Assistive Technology. So far a bit stressful for me. Let me tell you a bit about me so you know why. First, I am not a teacher. I work for the Department of Community Services and have had various jobs with youth for over twelve years. I am in the Counselling Program and this is an elective for me. I am not aware of the programs that we have been discussing, so today was a great learning experience. I am very interested in what we have been discussing thus far and am very impressed in the improvements in classroom technologies since I was in school. I have also never blogged before so bare with me :)

So what did I learn today? Most importantly that Assistive Technology is NOT Information Technology and that it requires TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING!!! :) Actually the definition is simple, providing access to a task and improving performance of a student with a disabilty. My guess is that most of you educators do some of this daily without even realizing it. You are adaptable and flexible for your students before the technology piece is even introduced. By learning the AT piece you are giving every student the opportunity to learn...what a gift!

1 comment: